Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fort Whyte Alive






We had an opportunity to go to Fort Whyte Alive which is only about 15 mins from where we live in the city. It is a local bird sanctuary of sorts with many different activities going on throughout the year. Richard's parents were visiting from Alberta and so we decided to check it out and were fortunate enough to attend this one:

Be sure to join us for SUNSET GOOSE FLIGHTS:Wednesday - Sunday, September 24 to October 26, we’re open ’til dusk.
As the sun sets thousands of Canada Geese land on FortWhyte’s lakes. It’s a show like no other! Plan to arrive at least a half hour before sunset to witness this natural spectacle! Enjoy an interpretive talk about the migration patterns of Canada Geese, and enjoy food concessions on the South Deck as you relax and enjoy this natural show.

It was AMAZING!!! It was like being in the middle of a National Geographic photo shoot. We were standing outside at dusk with a gorgeous sunset and there were thousands of birds in the air. Then all of a sudden you heard this incredible amount of honking and from out of nowhere thousands of geese were coming from every direction and landing right in front of you on the lake. The pictures don't do it justice but I had to include them. Enjoy.





2 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

Very pretty!

Rubyscarab said...

Dear Mrs. Kinner,

I hope this doesn't sound too odd, but I have Google alerts set up to let me know when the surname Kinner is being talked about somewhere online. Your blog came up.

My grandmother's maiden name is Kinner, and I am her side of the family's genealogist, always looking for a lead to find out more information. I don't know whether or not you may be related since I don't know of any relatives in Canada, but it's possible. She's from New York/Pennsylvania, and as far as I know is the last of her family line.

If you know anything about the Kinner family, I would be more than welcome to compare notes and share information.

My email address is: a m a n d a h f o r s o n @ g m a i l . c o m without the spaces.

Thanks,
Rubyscarab